Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Update from Canada

After a week of testing the board with all the gear and checking weather and Ice reports. I had to make a very hard decision. Can I cross or not?
I have waited with the decision until I arrived here in Canada and just spoke to the airport in Qikiqtarjuaq. There is still too much ice (a 20 mile ice sheet) in front of my starting point.
Although the seasonal ice is declining 3.6% less every year, this year it stayed around a little longer. Another big factor which is less important now because of the ice, is weather.
This year the weather up there is still very unstable with as much as 4 lows in and around the strait, a 35 knot wind for prolonged time in these conditions on a board is doable but not safe.

So with pain in my heart I have decided to go to Greenland by plane and do a 400 km SUP expedition from Sisimiut to Ilulissat.

My last problem, I lost 2 of the 3 bags on the last plane. Hopefully they will come today. I will have to wait 3 days for the first flight to Nuuk, Greenland on the 19th.